Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Reasons to NOT make Resolutions #Fitfluential

Anonymous
Many people look forward to the New Year for a new start on old habits.
I admit it. I use to make resolutions every year. Sure enough, like clockwork, by mid-January I had failed miserably at them and then begain to beat myself up a bit, with a subsequent resolve to try again. Like an endless roller coaster I went back and forth between being "good" and being "bad". Luckily I am also Catholic so I had Lent to try once more to make it happen. Often with the same results. One day, I just gave up on them altogether in frustration.

What is it about New Year's that entices us so? Why is it so difficult to stick to resolutions?

Reasons Against Setting Resolutions:
1. All good things take time, and your health is one of them. Waiting till a certain day to start is not going to help. Do it TODAY and be ahead of the game. Why wait?
2. Life Does Go On: What happens when the year is over? What happens to that great resolution then even if you are successful? Do you just give up on it?
3. "Most" Resolutions revolve around will power. Sure, it is important. Yet, if you always have blamed your lack of will power to follow through on a resolution each and every year will the clock striking midnight on December 31st change that, or will YOU change that?
4. NO fun. Most resolutions are negative. Giving up this or that. If you look at my goals for 2013 most revolve around doing fun things, and stretching them just a bit beyond what I did last year. Keep it fun.
5. Every day brings a new challenge that we can't always prepare for. Example: If you resolve to go to the gym everyday but you cannot afford to keep paying the membership (it CAN get pricey) then technically you failed a resoltuion even though you can still stay healthy and be active without a membership. Besides, rest days are important for your body to recover from a workout.
6. Unrealistic. We all work, have families, and a myriad of other responsibilties. Often resoltuions don't consider that we may need to be more flexible. Don't beat yourself up. Think more about where you want to go, and what STEPS you need to get there. Those are what goals are. It gives you a better look at the big picture rather then focusing on one snippet of it.
7. You have a LONG time to wait to get a WIN. The best reason for goal setting across a year instead of a resolution? You can reap the benefits much sooner. You can pat yourself on the back each time you strike one thing off that list. You won't have to wait until next December 31st to do it either!

Personally I think there is too much pressure to perform when it comes to resolutions. Every year I set a year long set of goals that I try to keep flexible, yet just challenging enough that I don't get complacent. For instance this year I would like to try one new fitness activity that I haven't done yet each month. This is not only doable, but far from boring. It definitely beats trying to cut out chocolate or coffee for an entire year (something I think is just downright crazy to attempt - LOL).

If New Year's Resolutions are your thing have at it. Some people are really, really good at it. Myself, I will be sticking to my rather lofty year-long goals. Either way, have a great 2013. All the best to you and those you love!

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Seeing how making resolutions can be so bad for you, doesn't that make the act of making resolutions a bad habit? (Signed The Devil's Advocate)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they are bad per se. Some people are excellent at sticking to them. Hwoever, if every year they don't work for someone, it may be time to think of an alternative.

    ReplyDelete