Wednesday, December 5, 2012

2013, I'm Ready!


"What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals."-Henry David Thoreau 

The above quote spoke to me as I sat here pondering what I wanted to accomplish for the upcoming year. There are a few that are not easily measured by any stats, medals, of finish lines. Some run much deeper then that. This upcoming year is about being the best version of myself that I can be and that will require a lot of work on my part.

I do want to rekindle that love of running that I had prior to last year. That undeniable feeling of accomplishment that I had when I finished a race. My last 5K race was filled with self-doubt. I didn't like feeling that way at all.

Recently I had a few runs that were pretty nice, but naturally I will need to build myself back up again especially after breaking my toe in October.

I know I have it in me. I have the will, and the desire. The rest will come with hard work and determination.

What's on deck for me?
    1. To attempt one new fitness activity per month (a new class, a new distance, etc)
    2. To PR at the 5K distance. It has been a long time since I have done that. Too long.
    3. To do another obstacle course run. By the looks of it right now probably more than one will occur in 2013. 
    4. To do more half marathons in 2013 then I completed in 2012 (which was three).
    5. To pick a full marathon in 2014 to train for. Frankly this scares the living...well you know...out of me. I need to do it though. I am a "give me a challenge" type of girl.
    6. Kick up my weight training. Need to visit my personal trainer more often.
    7. Skydiving. Enough said.
    8. Pick a Triathlon-thought of the Iron Girl here but the waters of Lake Las Vegas are gross
    9. To become more involved in the running community.
    10. Races for 2013:
      • Mardi Gras Masquerade 5K - February 2013
      • Red Rock Half Marathon - March 2013
      • Cirque De Soleil 5K - March 2013
      • Spartan Race - April 2013
      • Labor of Love Half Marathon - April 2013
      • Warrior Dash - May 2013
      • Rogue Runner Race - May 2013 (TBD - will depend on location which has not been announced yet)
      • Twilight Red Rock Half Marathon
      • Veterans Day 11K - November 2013
These are just a few of the races I would like to do. I know there will be some races through the Las Vegas Track Club that I will do as well.

Outside of my fitness goals I do have two other personal goals for 2013. One is to graduate with my Master's Degree in Organizational Leadership (currently in my second to last class).

The second is to write another book of poetry, I  was published in 2007 and recently was sent information on a grant to write a second one. Wish me luck there, it would be a huge endeavor but would be awesome to receive that funding.

I guess we will see how well I did about this time next year. Please share what goals you have set for yourself as well. Let's cheer each other on!






    No comments:

    Post a Comment