Sunday, July 27, 2014

When Your Bling Needs a New Home #FitFluential #GirlsGoneSporty #SweatPink

My Old Holder
All of my running bling has been kept on a cheap but very useful cafe rod I purchased for $3 (approximately) while at Wal-mart. I highly recommend this for those just starting out their running (and bling collecting) journey. It is a quick and inexpensive alternative to a lot of what you may see online. Let's face it though, it isn't very eye catching. Like me, you'll probably want something nice in due time.

I also ended up with two rods after doing a lot of races and the weight of some of the medals caused the rods to bow a bit. I decided I it was time for that upgrade. I have always liked the ready-made running bling holders I have seen online but never was able to settle on one I loved enough to order. So, I did what any self-respecting crafter would do, I scoured Pinterest, Etsy and Google for ideas.

It was through that search that I found images of shelves and holders using towel rods. It made me start to think what I could do with that same idea. I wanted to take that same concept but add a back drop that I can move around. Many of the other versions had the towel rod mounted directly to the wall. I wanted a bit more flexibility.

Prior to this project I had completed a Pinterest inspired coffee table craft out of wooden boxes at Michael's Craft Store and wood stain,  which came out spectacularly better than I had hoped.

Coffee Table Project
I had plenty of stain left from that project so I decided to just run to Lowe's and see what I could find in the lumber aisle. I found a nice piece of lumber at Lowe's for about $5. Not a bad deal. I took some time after work one evening, stained it and let it dry.

I already had the towel rod and hangers which did cost a bit more, approximately $30 for the rod and honestly I forget how much the rings were. The binder clips (seen below, far left) were bought later on at Target for $2 and the knob holding my ribbons and Castle's bling (far right) was on clearance for $2.49. I bought things as I went, not all at once.

I still have to burn the hummingbirds into each of the top corners but I am really pleased with how it came out. I may make a second one but with a shelf on top.

What do you think?

 The (Nearly) Finished Bling Holder


No comments:

Post a Comment