Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Holy Race Fees Batman!

If you are a runner who lives for races you have probably had the same conundrum I have had today. Namely.....

"How the hell do I pay for all these race fees?"

I love to race. I love the anticipation of them, the touch of nerves I get the morning of, and the thrill of the finish. I may not be the fastest runner or the most consistent in my training (still trying to work that out) but I just can't go long without a good race. This past summer was the longest I have gone in awhile and I hated it. Frankly, it made me cranky.

The trouble is that races are getting pretty pricey. I do a lot of the low-key races here in Las Vegas through the track club, which are more than affordable. However, there are still some larger races (namely obstacle courses and half marathons) that I am looking forward to, with many averaging around $60 or more a piece.

If you throw in a destination race (of which I only have one to date that is paid for) it can be downright frightening to think of one's budget. I had wanted to try for the Coast to Coast medal through runDisney but I am thinking, after scanning what fees I will pay alone in local races over the coming months, that this plan is likely going to have to wait.

I know I am not alone in this predicament. Many of you out there are likely in the same boat. My husband understands my love of these events and is doing  his best to encourage me, but also with a touch of being the voice of reason. He's right though (shhh, don't tell him I said that or I will never hear the end of it). It is hard to argue against the statement "$80 to run 13 miles? You can do that for free any day." Um, yeah, he DOES have a point.

Yet, there is something intangible about race day that defies this logic.

So, as a result, I am re-thinking my plans and trying my best to be a bit more strategic. Instead of running ones I have done before maybe I will do ones I have never run instead. There is also the consideration of bling...and yes it is important especially if I am throwing down some serious cash to run a race. I think it is only fair I get to add something to my collection, right?

I am not complaining about the fees themselves as I cannot speak on what it takes to coordinate, set-up and run a race like these. I am saying that over the next few days I will be thinking of ways to make it happen without breaking the bank, or sending my husband over the edge, or both!





1 comment:

  1. I right with you in the worries about how to pay for the races I want to enter this coming year. I am going to Tough Mudder this year in Kansas City and that's a 2 hour drive away from me, but it's the closest one to me and I have a group that I'm doing it with. I am having trouble justifying some of the other races I want to do because of cost. Can't I just have a company sponsor me so that I can run these races? I'll promote the race as best as I can from where I am? Wishful thinking right?

    Hope it works out for you!

    #DreadmillDrummer

    ReplyDelete