Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A Year of Finding Strength

2013.

What a year it was for me. Filled with many trials, and also many triumphs too. The best part of writing a year in review post is that it allows us all a moment just to sit back and enjoy all those moments again.

Looking back here were some of my goals and my notes on where I landed as far as completing them.
  1. To attempt one new fitness activity per month (a new class, a new distance, etc) - I was hit or miss on this one. I did try a few new things such as Strikefit and kickboxing. Strikefit was my favorite though and has me eager to do it again here in Vegas since my first try was in Cali. The cool part was my instructor was family!
  2. To PR at the 5K distance. It has been a long time since I have done that. Too long. Nope, so this one rolls over to 2014.
  3. To do another obstacle course run. By the looks of it right now probably more than one will occur in 2013. Did two - both solo. Pretty proud of that!
  4. To do more half marathons in 2013 then I completed in 2012 (which was three). Nope, only did one. I just wasn't feeling the distance runs so I am going to set a goal of two for 2014. 
  5. To pick a full marathon in 2014 to train for. Frankly this scares the living...well you know...out of me. I need to do it though. I am a "give me a challenge" type of girl. Still not there yet.
  6. Kick up my weight training. Need to visit my personal trainer more often. Yes and no on this one. But I think I need to focus more on the ST again. Not consistent enough.
  7. Skydiving. Enough said. Nope. I have decided to pass on this one for a bit longer.
  8. Pick a Triathlon - I did just that and finished it! Yay! May try again in 2014 to see if I can do better - this time with a wet suit. 
  9. To become more involved in the running community. This was my favorite accomplishment. I volunteered for a few races this year; became part of a fantastic running group, The Running Troops, whose motto is "To Inspire. To Challenge. To Serve"; and I have supported some of our Troopers at local races. It definitely makes you feel good to give back to the sport. I highly recommend volunteering at a race at least once each year.
So aside from the above roll-over goals from 2013 what does this girl have in mind for 2014?

I just want to get better, to keep working hard but to always keep that feeling I have for doing what I am doing. I don't ever want to lose that. Volunteering has really helped ground me. Made me remember the person that I always wanted to be and still helped me focus on the physical goals I set. No, I didn't achieve them all but I did do some great things with my 2013.

I also got to see one of my friends complete to date 12 of 13 half marathons in 2013, the final one to happen next weekend. Such an huge accomplishment and I am wicked proud of her. 

Here are a few things I want to add for next year: (side note: some of these may be put on hold should we ever be gifted the blessing of a wee one on the way this year)
  • Complete the Spartan Race in April (happens the day before my 40th birthday) 
  • Get in to one additional fitness activity - looking into boxing or something along those lines.
  • Continue using some of the training from the triathlon because I did feel improvement in my my lungs and legs.
  • Do at least one race in California - any excuse to go back to that state is okay with me. 
  • Increase my reach in social media, especially FB (how about a like for Run with K?)
Other than that I just want to keep up what I am doing, to eat better (struggled a bit here and there with that one) and to always love what I am doing and to remember why I am doing it. 

What are your goals????





No comments:

Post a Comment