Saturday, May 11, 2013

Race for the Cure #CureSN2013 @KomenSN

Last weekend I participated in one of the most rewarding events, the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I am not only a board member but also function as the Social Media Chair for the race. I woke up race morning at about 3 AM and headed down to Freemont then made a startling discovery. The Flash Special that I had set up the night before was non-existent. I was using the Foursquare business app and as I waited for the gas to pump into my car I checked to see if it was running. It wasn't. In fact, the entire event I had set up for the race was closed.

I ran back home to try and fix it but after a few minutes knew that it would delay me too much to try to get it working. I was able to add the race event back in, but looking at the clock I knew I had to go. I packed myself up once again and headed downtown.

Once I was parked I grabbed coffee for my friend, Angela (Race Director) and her hubby Woz, and began to help out where I could. Directing volunteers where they needed to check in and started taking photos with my phone. Ben, my hubby, was heading down to help take pictures. He was such a trooper, work wouldn't give him time off to stay the whole day so he stayed as long as he could and got some great pictures.

I was supposed to have an on-air interview with Paul Francis of Channel 8 but that was nixed due to technical difficulties. Sadly though this meant I missed the finish line photos I normally take because Ben had to leave and I was waiting for them to decide what to do about the interview. There are plenty of photographers there that day so we will get some great photos either way.

Regardless of my little technical issues, the day was overwhelming as usual. This event is by far one of the most challenging and most rewarding ones I get to be a part of. It was awesome to see my friend organize this whole thing and do such a fantastic job at it. After months of planning, Facebooking, tweeting, etc. it was all over in just a few short hours. From everything I could tell, and the feedback we have gotten via social media, everything went off without a hitch.

There is nothing like seeing thousands of people out there for a common goal: To rid the world of breast cancer forever. 

It truly is a sight to see....



...they're off!

LVFD


Lynda P. and Angela W.
Me tweeting away. My hat had my donation names on the back.





No comments:

Post a Comment