Saturday, April 27, 2013

Labor of Love Weekend Race Report #Fitfluential #GirlsGoneSporty

Last weekend I participated in the Labor of Love weekend at Lovell Canyon. If you follow my blog you know that this is the same canyon that my husband and I go to for target shooting (at a different area of the canyon). So for me this was a great race to run. I had planned to do my typical race report, what went right what went wrong but decided that it was better to tell you why and for whom I ran this race.

After the events of the last week or so, most definitely the total 19.3 miles I put in for both days (Half on Saturday, 10K on Sunday) were for Boston. No doubt many of you dedicated races to the town, the runners, and spectators affected by the events of Monday, April 15th.

For me there was another reason I ran. An alum at my high school, Dan, had a lifesaving double transplant this past fall. His family and friends in Pennsylvania, where I originally hail from, were walking in the Heart Walk that same day. I knew I wanted to do a half marathon during my birthday month (I turned 39 on April 8). This seemed to me like it was kismet. I was meant to run this race.

Despite the hardships I faced both days, none of that matters. It pales in comparison to what those that were there that day in Boston went through, as well as what Dan went through to become well again.

Sometimes, we just run to run. The times don't always need to matter. The performance can be secondary to the feeling of accomplishment felt doing something for someone else or in their honor.

So run on....and be Boston strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment