Sunday, April 28, 2013

Ever Catch A Cheater? #Fitfluential #GirlsGoneSporty

Recently on Facebook a woman posed a question that had to do with seeing someone she believed to be cheating at a race. I won't get into that post exactly since it was not posted directly to me or my page. Besides, it is her story so I feel it should remain as such. However, it did get me thinking about the topic in general.

Have you ever saw someone cheat at a race?

I am not talking about a mistaken change of course that may have shortened a race for a runner. We see runners get lost on improperly marked courses all the time. It happened to me once when volunteers sent me by accident heading in the wrong direction, under a very low underpass that I had to literally crawl on my hands and feet to get under. In my case my little detour added time to my finish. It does happen. I am talking about a clear cut case of cheating, red handed.

If you ever saw someone cheat at a race, by taking a shorter route, or maybe by allowing a faster friend run for them to get a better time, would you say something? Even if a threat of retaliation may be likely? Would it matter if that person was a well-known member of your running community? Would it bother you more if it was a big race as supposed to a small race in your area? What would the appropriate punishment be if guilt could be proven?

I pose these questions not to say that the community of runners we know and love is full of these instances. Yet, I think these topics are ones that are good ones for us to discuss, so that if it does happen we know how we would respond. Perhaps knowing what to do is a sure fire way to never actually have to do it.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than win by cheating.
Sophocles 



No comments:

Post a Comment