Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My Destination Race Packing List @Fitfluential #ZOOMAnation

During our #ZOOMAnation chat this evening I was asked about my travel check list for destination races. If you knew me well, you know Compression Pants for After Racethat I have to pre-plan these things. I need that little bit of order to help deal with any nerves I have pre-race. This list is not all-inclusive of what I take since I have eliminated what clothes I pack for the down time. That I judge by what area we are in and the time of year but I hope this will be helpful to you.

If Flying I Carry these Items in  my CARRY-ON Bag:
  • Running Shoes
  • Socks (2 Pairs)
  • Sports Bra (2 of them)
  • Running Underwear (2 pair)
  • Running pants (2 styles - one to match weather report, one for 10 degrees cooler)
  • Running Top or Singlet (2 different styles)
  • Rice Payment Confirmation Email Printed Out (Including Packet Pickup Information)
  • Medication – I have asthma so I usually need my inhaler.
    • Also to include:
      • Pain medication
      • Anti-Diarrhea Medicine (just two caplets) have yet to need them but I always carry them, just in case.
      • Tums
  • ROAD ID bracelet
  • Mp3 Player & Head Phones
  • Power Cords (Cell Phone, etc) 
  • One full comfy post-race outfit  (yoga pants, tee, etc.)
  • Fueling (I use Honeystinger, Island Boost or Gu and they are small enough to fit in my carry-on – toiletries I can easily replace but my fueling is key! Take it on board with you if it fits and meets FAA requirements! I'm also into Energybits right now and since they are caplets there is no travel issue.)
  • My Fueling Belt
  • My Running Sunglasses
Clothing Items (Can Pack These in Checked Bag If Using One):
  •  Warm Clothes (Jacket and Long Pants – for if it gets cool at night) Side note: I am always cold, even here in Vegas.Especially if indoors with AC blasting.
  • Cheap Gloves (cold weather race)  - I have good ones but I want something I can toss if no longer needed during the race. 
  • T-Shirt (Long and Short Sleeve)  - An old or goodwill pickup so you can toss it if needed during a race. 
    • For both the gloves and shirts: Please make sure to check with race director to see if they donate tossed items oherwise expect to keep them with you throughout. Don't litter!)
  • Hoodie Sweat Shirt
  • Flip Flops (not sure why but I usually want my sneakers off after a race)
  • KT Tape
  • Compression Pants or Socks (for post race)- mainly for longer distance races 10K or higher
Other Items:
  • Body Glide (or something similar)
  • Baby Wipes (small pack from a dollar store)
  • Safety Pins (lord knows I have TONS of those)
  • Sample Size Toiletries
  • Band-Aids (A few regular ones, two blister style)
  • Sun-Block (keep it to a small bottle or a sample size if flying) 
  • 2 one gallon Ziploc Bags (One for the race itself and one for afterwards. Each has a list on the bag using a Sharpie with what I want to put in there. Then I just lay it all out when I arrive. For the triathlon we did this for each of the stages and it worked really well. I could easily see what was inside too for when I had to triple check it.)
  • Sharpie

My friend Angela took this picture on Instagram of the bags we made for our Triathlon last October.


I hope you find this list helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment