Sunday, March 24, 2013

Devil Dash Race Report #FitFluential #GirlsGoneSporty

There are clearly times when you can surprise yourself. Lately, I have been doing that quite a bit, in a good way! This past Saturday I ran the Devil Dash at Bootleg Canyon and I had to run it solo. It was not the plan but after my friend Angela (Sole Sister on the Run) became ill, and my other pal Stephanie had family obligations to attend to, there was no other choice.I decided that I needed to polish off my horns, get in there, and just get it done.

I must say, compared to the Urban Warrior this was a bit more challenging physically. At the Urban Warrior my main nemesis was the heat. Not the case with this race as it was pretty damn cold and windy on top of it. Luckily my hubby tagged along (OK I had to beg him a bit) because he was the one that gave me the idea to actually use the scarf they gave me to keep my ears warm.I may have just disregarded that item until after the race had he not been there.

I won't get into all the obstacles but I must tell you: the hills were killer. They don't call them Hells Hills Climb for nothing. There were also sections of the running portion that was hilly and very unstable (wishing for trail running shoes about now).

There were times that I had to walk and not run because of the course but also because of the people in front of me. There were areas that had backed up a bit and the section was too narrow and crazy to try and pass them.

Again, I did every obstacle and only got hung up on one really, Satan's Steeple. I am so not a fan of heights. Really not. So here is a picture of me trying to psych myself up.I am picturing Stephanie right about now and hearing her make her funny accents in my head saying, " Get a move on Zehner!" Then there is the voice of Angela, saying "You got this, piece of cake."



They were both right. It took a bit of coaching from hubby who was standing far right (not in picture) but I made it up and over. 

Then there was the issue I had with Plunge Into Hell. The guy in front of me couldn't figure out how to get under, which was easily done on one's belly, but he insisted on otherwise. So I held the wire for him and his gal. After a bit I just went ahead of them. As I hit the end though I had turned around and they were stuck at another wire at the very end so I held it for a brief bit and sure enough I sliced my finger. It still is sore but after  a trip to the first aid station, post beer of course, all was well with the world. 
The last obstacle that I was proud to say I nailed was the Stairway to Heaven. This was very much like the last obstacle at Urban Warrior so I knew I could do it. I did too. 

Pretty freaking proud of myself.



Despite the wind and cold, I loved this race and would do it again in a heart beat. It was both challenging and fun. Although I might have to kick it up a notch and wear some horns or something. It seems only right to do so.

Here are some more pictures (more on the way after hubby downloads them from his cell).





Slip-N-Slide time!





No comments:

Post a Comment